HOW TO USE CHARGER PLATES
FOR YOUR TABLE SETTINGS
The use of charger plates for place setting in events decorations is fast becoming a growing trend for any dining event. As the name implies, it helps you take charge of your table setting, presentation, and décor. But how to use them can be confusing, so we put together guide to help you decide when and why you should use charger plates in decorating to give your event a classy and elegant touch.
What Are Charger Plates
Charger plates are open dish placed on tables; first off as a base which other plates for dining will be placed upon. They are, in other words decorative display trays for your table setting. They are suitable for multiple course meals that will enable a base for each dish to be placed on. They are made from different materials such as wood, glass, metal, ceramic, and acrylic. Glass being the most preferred choice for fine dining because it is easy to blend with eating plates and general décor. Although food cannot be placed directly on them, they serve many other purposes such as:
- Protecting the tables from the direct heat of the dish being served.
- Protecting fine tablecloths and linens, especially necessary if renting!
- Helps in assisting servers in the right placing of food.
- Charger plates can be used to set centerpieces of floral and geometric designs.
- They are also great for decorating as they in come in different shapes and colors; you can choose what suits the event you are decorating.
Be mindful of your table size and guest sitting when planning out your place settings.
How To Use Charger Plates
When you are going to use charger plates, first, you should choose the plate that blends with your design and colors of your particular event. When the big day arrives, you will have to decorate the tables by placing your linens first before placing your charger plates. It’s essential to be mindful of the size of the table, the space between each charger plates - in respect to the number of guests that are sitting at the table. When the spacing is sorted out, it is time to start designing your settings with the charger plates to make your table setting pop out.
The next step is to add your napkins and the napkin rings, and your menu card in to your place settings to make your decoration look fantastic. Another important thing to note when placing your charger plates on the table is the arrangement of your silverware and drinking glasses which should all be in their right places so as not to disrupt the dining of your guests, and also to give your entire table décor a classy finish.
Accent your party tables with stylish charger plates for weddings, parties, and events.
How To Choose A Good Charger Plate
Knowing how to use charger plates is sometimes not enough to guarantee that you will make the right choice when designing your next table setting decorations. The first thing to consider is the color and theme of your event. This will help you narrow down the type and color of the charger plate. Knowing the type of material will also help you to determine if a particular charger plate fits your event style.
Charger Plates Formalities
There are certain rules that guide the use of charger plates in a formal table setting that we'll go over to help you set the perfect table. Feel free to bend the rules if you're having a less formal celebration, it's all up to you!
The one rule that you must follow is - food should never be served directly on the charger plates!
- Always remember that the charger plates should be placed and arranged before guests arrive at the event.
- They should always be kept one inch away from the table’s edge, to give enough room for guests.
- Charger plates and the silver ware is placed in between guests, with at least two feet from each other as this will enable room for hands and elbows.
- Napkins are to be arranged with the napkin rings properly, menu cards and sometimes name cards should all be placed on top of the charger plates decoratively. The dish served, are to be placed directly on top of the charger plates. Event managers and servers should take note of this fact.
- Charger plates are to be removed before serving the last meal - which is dessert. This is because dessert plates are smaller; sometimes they even come in cups. This makes it unnecessary for the charger plate to be left on the table for dessert. You can also choose to remove the chargers before serving the main entree course.
Pair charger plates with your menu and place cards for a gorgeous look.
Choose your material to match your event style.
More people have been using charger plates as trays to serve appetizers (again, there should be no direct contact with chargers and food) - so long napkins or serviette are placed on the charger plates. Simply add charger plates to your party decorations for the wow effect; you can never go wrong with using them. Step up your table setting styling by choosing from our wide range of charger plates available and you won’t be disappointed.
Let us know what you think of this charger plates guide and share your styling tips with us in the comments or on Instagram @LeilaniParties! Want to show off your table settings? Tag #LeilaniParties or email us to be featured!